Intensive acute inpatient rehabilitation is offered at University Rehabilitation Center, a “care bridge” from hospital to home for adults recovering from strokes, amputations, spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, arthritis, joint replacement, neurological disorders and other medical conditions. Using a team approach, physicians and therapists help patients reach their highest level of function, mobility and independence.
The 690-square-foot center, overseen by a medical director and a physiatrist, is endorsed by the Commission of Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, and is one of the few in the state with a CARF stroke specialty certification. CARF accreditation recognizes the rehab center’s commitment to excellence and its integrated interdisciplinary team approach to care. Its stroke program focuses on minimizing a patient’s impairment while maximizing participation and quality of life.
- 24-hour rehabilitative nursing care
- Occupational therapy
- Speech-language therapy
- Neurological physical therapy
- Physical therapy
- Animal-assisted therapy
- Video game interaction therapy
- Orthotics and prosthetics
- Social services and support
University Rehabilitation Center cares for patients age 18 and older who have the ability to tolerate a comprehensive rehabilitation program. It is open 24 hours a day, seven days per week.
The URC team includes:
- Physicians, nurse practitioner, nurses and certified assistants
- Program manager
- Case manager - Brings together many aspects of care, including education, team conferences, communication with insurance companies and discharge planning.
- Social worker - Helps the patient and family with special needs and provides emotional support and education while planning for discharge.
- Assessment nurse
- Rehabilitation nurse
- Therapists (occupation, physical and speech)
- Nutritionists (dietitians) - Reviews patient's nutritional needs and provides nutrition education and counseling.
- Orthotics and prosthetics specialists
Patients also have access to support services, including diagnostic imaging, laboratory, pharmacy and all medical disciplines available at UMMCC. Outside referrals are available for addiction services.