More than half of United States citizens suffer from at least one allergy, a potentially harmful hypersensitivity to a specific substance, whether it is a pollen, food, drugs or material. The immune system controls how the body defends itself, creating reactions that can range from minor to life-threatening. Asthma is an allergic disease involving air restriction, leading to wheezing, coughing and shortness of breath.
We diagnosis and treat children and adolescents with a wide range of allergic and immunologic disorders, including, but not limited to:
- Allergic rhinitis
- Allergic conjunctivitis
- Atopic dermatitis
- Urticaria (hives)
- Drug allergies
- Food allergies
- Insect sting allergies\
- Primary immune disorders
Our allergy and immunology specialists perform unique consultative outpatient and inpatient services to provide comprehensive clinical care to our patients. We believe in a highly coordinated, multidisciplinary approach to allergy management. We stay in close contact with referring physicians to ensure an effective continuum of care.
Our pediatric services include, but are not limited to:
- Skin testing to determine allergy to inhalants, foods, drugs (such as penicillin), vaccines and stinging insects.
- Oral challenges to foods and drugs
- Pulmonary function testing for evaluation of asthma
- Education of patients and families relating to asthma, allergic disease and avoidance of environmental allergens and triggers
- Evaluation and management of primary immune deficiency disorders